Construction continues on the Campeau Drive extension project. Upon completion, this project will create an important connection to Arcadia, Tanger Outlets and the Kanata West Business Park. The project, which extends Campeau Drive from Country Glen Way to Didsbury Road, includes a four-lane road, segregated cycling lanes, sidewalks, the roundabout at Winterset Road, two signalized intersections at Kanata Commons and Didsbury Road, and a new bridge over the Carp River.
This project was identified in the City’s Transportation Master Plan dating back to 2013 and is part of the affordable road network. The approved budget for this project is $32 million. Construction is anticipated to be completed this fall.
Progress to date
Since construction began in 2020, work continues to progress well. The following work has been completed to date:
- Earth excavation, site grading, and granular work for the new roadways
- Curb and sidewalk placement
- Asphalt placement for roadways and cycle tracks from Country Glen Way to Winterset Road
- Placement of lightweight fill material and distribution slabs for the new Carp River Bridge approaches
- Pouring of concrete for the Carp River bridge including abutments, deck, and barrier walls
- Utility, watermain, and storm sewer installations
- Line painting and sig installation from Country Glen Way to Winterset Road
- Installation of guide rails on approaches to the new bridge
The view of work on Campeau Drive at the Carp River Bridge looking East.
The view of work on Campeau Drive at the Carp River bridge looking West.
Great progress at the Campeau Drive and Didsbury Road intersection looking West.
The following work can be expected over the next couple of months:
- Granular placement and the installation of curbs/sidewalk and asphalt pavement placement on Campeau Drive from Winterset Road to Didsbury Road and on adjacent pathways/cycle facilities
- Minor work on Campeau Drive between Country Glen Way and Winterset Road including sewer inspections, adjustments to sewer maintenance covers as well as surface asphalt placement, and line painting
- Utility installations
- Work on the Carp River bridge including the installation of railings
- Placement of topsoil in boulevard areas